Sunday, January 5, 2020

Review: And I Darken (Kiersten White)

Well, it's almost midnight and I just finished this one. I had to get out of bed to write this review because I am s h o o k.

This book is under 500 pages, but it is dense anyway. It was not a quick four-hour binge-athon. I didn't discover the quick dictionary of the Turkish terms in the back of the book until I made it to the end of the book (the curse of ebooks!), so words like bey and pasha and iskar took a while to make sense in context. 

The Good:

  • I would consider the first 100 pages (more!) of this one to fall under the definition of 'backstory'. Around page 50 I was getting annoyed, but when I decided to stop being annoyed, I really enjoyed the stories of childhood. Lada and Radu were much clearer characters thanks to this devotion to detail.
  • The dual perspective narrative really worked here. Lada and Radu both have enough problems and redeeming qualities that I was equally irritated and invested in both of their fates (ok, Lada's more, but only slightly). I tend to like one perspective better than another but White developed a very good rhythm and narrative where the switching perspectives seemed to be the only way to do it.
  • YA fantasy? Eh, maybe. This is a well-researched historical fiction novel that takes no liberties at all with the mystical or mythical. The scant hints of faith-based lore are enough to make me feel better about there not being magic as we imagine it in the world, because everything is so complicated as-is. 
  • I really respect Mehmed.

The Bad:

  • Um...I think as I was reading reviews of this one, someone said the romance was minor? That is NOT the case at all. It's a little love-triangle-y, but not in a way that causes eye rolling. Just a little pity.
  • Everyone's a little *too* human. I have no idea who to root for the most and it pains me.
  • I can't figure out the global context and wish I had more background on the history surrounding these events! But if I look it up that might spoil the series so I'll just be a little clueless.

Loved it:

  • Lada and Radu are a fantastic portrayal of a sibling relationship. At the end of the day, you will probably choose your siblings. But you have to give them hell first.

Hated it:

  • I know it's the reality of the times but I get so mad every time Mehmed has a new child, gah!

I'm giving this 5 stars. Let me go sob about sibling relationships for about 20 more minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Huntress (Kate Quinn)